During his last year of college, Caleb Marshall decided that he wanted to pursue a nontraditional career path… so he started a YouTube channel.
In this week’s episode, Brittany talks to Caleb, aka The Fitness Marshall, about his passion for fitness dancing, how he built a brand and business despite obstacles, and the many ways he makes a profit other than monetizing his videos. Later, Brittany talks to Jamie Byrne, Senior Director of Creative Partnerships at YouTube, about the platform's monetization features and how they’ve evolved over time. Some participants have been compensated for their involvement in this series.
KEY TOPICS & TIMESTAMPS
- [3:53] About the Channel
- [4:22] How Caleb got started with dance fitness
- [6:14] The planning that went into The Fitness Marshall channel
- [8:18] How Caleb’s knowledge of video production helped him
- [9:24] Reaching 100,000 subscribers
- [11:19] Decision to use popular music in his videos
- [14:05] Staying afloat financially
- [16:07] How Caleb’s currently monetizing his content
- [17:36] Caleb’s activewear line
- [19:03] Advice for others looking to create a YouTube channel
- [21:15] Transition to interview with Jamie Byrne
- [23:21] Different ways creators make money
- [25:54] Misconceptions about creators
The Upload is a podcast by YouTube produced in partnership with National Public Media. Our Executive Producers are Brianna LaFleur and Erica Osher. Supervising Producer Shannon Boerner. Our Lead Producer is Theresa Avila; Editing and Engineering by Alie Kilts; Production Assistance by Gurjit Kaur with support from Maddy Weinberg. Our logo was created by Jen Grottle and our music is by TimaLikesMusic. Hosted by Brittany Luse.