The Dr. John Delony Show is a caller-driven show that offers real people a chance to be heard as they struggle with relationship issues and mental health challenges. John will give you practical advice on how to connect with people, how to take the next right step when you feel frozen, and how to cut through the depression and anxiety that can feel so overwhelming. You are not alone in this battle. You are worth being well—and it starts by focusing on what you can control. Let us know what’s going on by leaving a voicemail at 844.693.3291 or visiting johndelony.com/show. We want to talk to YOU!
Show Notes for this Episode
2:54: Morning Routine (45m-1.5h)
- no sugar, no grains
- 15-16h between meals/Intermittent Fasting
- lots of high quality fats, meats
- berries with heavy cream
- occasional whiskey, not much drinking
- supplements: look for a later episode
- I read a lot, as much as I can: books, articles, blog
- I re-read books
- Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
- Catcher in the Rye - J. D. Salinger
- Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
- I Don't Want to Talk About It - Terrence Real
- Antifragile - Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Come As You Are - Emily Nagoski
- Finding Meaning - David Kessler
- Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents - Lindsay C. Gibson
- The Deepest Well - Nadinen Burke Harris M.D.
- Gabor Maté M.D.
- Brené Brown
- The Gift of Therapy - Irvin Yalom
- Dr. Henry Cloud
- Behave - Robert M. Sapolsky
- Patrick Lencioni
- Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
- Mating in Captivity - Esther Perel
- Predictably Irrational - Dan Ariely
- Why We Get Fat - Gary Taubes
- The Road - Cormac McCarthy
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain
- Justice - Michael J. Sandel
- Theology: Tim Wise, Rob Bell, Richard Rohr, N. T. Wright, Richard Beck
- Anne Lamott
- The Body Keeps the Score - Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- Young Adult Fiction:
- The Harry Potter series - J. K. Rowling
- The Wingfeather Saga - Andrew Peterson
- The Wildwood Chronicles - Colin Meloy & Carson Ellis
- The Wilder Good series - S. J. Dahlstrom
- Poets: Def Comedy Jam, Langston Hughes
20:54: Comedians: Cosby, Pryor, Chapelle, Lewis Black, Steve Martin, Seinfeld, Nate Bargatze, Robin Williams
- Guns & Roses, Rage Against the Machine, Dream Theater, Pantera, Deftones, all 80s har metal, Poison, Def Leppard, Warrant, Rat
- old punk: Bad Brains, Black Flag, Henry Rollins, Social Distortion, Sick of It All, Hatebreed
- The Killers, Foo Fighters
- Trippin Daisy, Ned's Atomic Dustbin
- Blink-182, 30-foot Fall, Goldfinger, MXPX
- Bebo Norman, Caedmon's Call, Eric Peters, Andrew Peterson, Andy Osenga
- Ani DiFranco, Damien Rice, Frank Turner, The Avett Brothers, Brandon Flowers, Bruce Springsteen,
- Tobe Nwigwe, Jay-Z, Notorious BIG, Dr. Dre, Warren G, Houston rap, Run DMC, LL Cool, Grandmaster Flash, Ice Cube
- Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin
- Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Guy Clarke Jr.
- ambient electronica, lo-fi beats
- Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Garth Brookes, Merle Haggard
- Third Eye Blind
- Goodwill Hunting, Stand By Me, Meet the Parents, Requiem for a Dream, Spaceballs, Major League, Karate Kid, Titanic, American History X, Adam Sandler, Will Ferrell
28:58: Living in the woods vs. the city
30:29: Why do you block out your kids pictures on social media?
32:07: How long have you been married?
32:23: Favorite food
32:34: Enneagram/Myers Brigg
34:46: Favorite places to travel
35:13: Who in history would you want to hang out with?
36:10: How did you and your wife meet?
37:46: Things that get you the most anxious?
40:36: How much money is in your swear jar right now?
40:50: Biggest change coming from TX to TN
42:20: What's your beef with Crossfit?
43:03: Do you find yourself being Dr. John when your wife just needs her husband?
43:56: What are some of your biggest influences on the advice you give?
- Dr. Andy Young
- Dr. Jean-Noel Thompson
- Michael Gibson
- Professors in grad school
- Mom & dad, wife, family
- Yalom, Glaser, Gabor Maté, Terrance Real, Henry Cloud
45:27: Have you hd your own mental health challenges?
45:48: With your experience, what has stopped you in your tracks?
47:29: What car do you drive?
47:38: How do you deal with having different opinions than Dave?
47:51: Ultimate comfort food
48:06: Who are your mentors?
48:25: How you manage staying humble and be successful?
50:55: Guitar of choice?
51:52: Opinion on using weeds and drugs recreationally
52:37: How do you keep balanced if a question goes against your beliefs or morals?
54:51: Lyrics of the Day: "Thunder Road" - Bruce Springsteen
These platforms contain content, including information provided by guests, that is intended for informational and entertainment purposes only. The content is not intended to replace or substitute for any professional medical, counseling, therapeutic, financial, legal, or other advice. The Lampo Group, LLC d/b/a Ramsey Solutions as well as its affiliates and subsidiaries (including their respective employees, agents and representatives) make no representations or warranties concerning the content and expressly disclaim any and all liability concerning the content including any treatment or action taken by any person following the information offered or provided within or through this show.
If you have specific concerns or a situation in which you require professional advice, you should consult with an appropriately trained and qualified professional expert and specialist. If you are having a health or mental health emergency, please call 9-1-1 immediately.