William chats with Ray Dalio, one of the most successful investors of all time. Ray, whose net worth is estimated at $19.1 billion, founded the world’s largest hedge fund firm, Bridgewater Associates, which manages about $150 billion. He’s also the author of the #1 NYT bestseller “Principles: Life & Work,” which has sold over 4 million copies. Here, Ray shares invaluable lessons on how to develop your own principles for success, overcome your biggest obstacles, construct a resilient portfolio, invest wisely in China, think rationally about Bitcoin, & build a happy life that suits your personality. This is a true masterclass on investing & life.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
02:42 - How Ray Dalio’s habit of writing down his principles changed his life.
08:40 - Why it’s critical to understand yourself & find paths that suit your nature.
11:32 - What Ray discovered about his strengths, weaknesses, values, & motivations.
12:25 - How he succeeds by collaborating with people who are strong where he’s weak.
12:50 - What business leaders like Elon Musk, Bill Gates, & Reed Hastings have in common.
16:08 - How to convert your experiences into principles that will guide your decisions.
17:29 - What Ray learned about risk & survival after a disastrous investment mistake.
21:44 - How he taught himself to embrace pain, harnessing it to become a better investor.
26:59 - How meditation empowers him to make decisions in a calm & centered way.
31:32 - How to apply his five-step process for getting what you want out of life.
32:16 - How to improve your life by identifying the “one big thing” that stands in your way.
45:08 - How to combat your ego & your blind-spots.
47:23 - Why he’s comfortable investing billions in China, despite the uncertainties.
45:31 - How he balances risk & reward by seeking to own 15 “good, uncorrelated bets.”
52:00 - How regular investors can construct a well-diversified, resilient portfolio.
57:16 - What we should learn from the bubble & bust of high-tech stocks & crypto.
1:01:39 - Why he’s deeply skeptical about Bitcoin.
1:05:43 - How economies are driven by credit cycles, & where the U.S. stands in this cycle.
1:18:13 - How to prepare for the future by knowing where you are in the three phases of life.
1:23:57 - Why Ray is becoming more spiritual in the third & final phase of his life.
1:33:18 - Why he’s happy to cede control of his investment firm to a new generation of leaders.
1:38:10 - Why Ray sees ocean exploration, not space exploration, as the greatest adventure of all.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
NEW TO THE SHOW?
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Talk to your clients about Desjardins Responsible Investment today and support what’s right for society and what’s good for business.
- Take stock of your finances and investing strategy with Betterment.
- If your business has five or more employees and managed to survive Covid you could be eligible to receive a payroll tax rebate of up to twenty-six thousand dollars per employee. Find out if your business qualifies with Innovation Refunds.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Let an expert do your taxes from start to finish so you can relax with TurboTax.
- If you’re aware you need to improve your bitcoin security but have been putting it off, Unchained Capital's Concierge Onboarding is a simple way to get started—sooner rather than later. Book your onboarding today and at checkout, get $50 off with the promo code FUNDAMENTALS.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.
HELP US OUT!
Help us reach new listeners by leaving us arating and review on Apple Podcasts! It takes less than 30 seconds, and really helps our show grow, which allows us to bring on even better guests for you all! Thank you – we really appreciate it!