LOST TO TIME AND THE SHIFTING CURRENTS OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER…
It was in 1828 that the town of Rodney, Mississippi was formally incorporated. Located near the Mississippi River, the town would grow to become an essential port for steamboats traveling up and down the river. Rodney became known as a bustling town and thriving entertainment center, even building the state’s first opera house.
The city survived a devastating yellow fever epidemic and was occupied by Federal forces during the Civil War. Yet the death knell first sounded in 1869 when Rodney, Mississippi was almost entirely consumed by fire. Though the town tried to recover, it was unable to.
In 1870, A large sandbar formed in the Mississippi River, causing the river’s flow to shift westwards away from Rodney. Where once Rodney was a port town, an ideal stopping point for steamer ships, just yards from the river, it was now roughly two miles away. The town had lost its port.
And without its port, Rodney lost its residents. Today, all that remains of the once thriving town are the damaged shells of several buildings.
Help Southern Gothic grow by becoming a Patreon Supporter today!
Join our newsletter to enter our giveaways!
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices