Popstar Cyndi Lauper once sang, “Money Changes Everything” and nothing could be more true. People fight about money every day, and it pits family members against one another. Husbands against wives, siblings against one another, parents vs. children…it goes on and on. One such family that was affected by money was the Mack family in Reno, Nevada. When Charla met Darren Mack and they fell madly in love, Darren didn’t mind lavishing his bride with trips and expensive gifts. But when Charla filed for divorce, the wheels fell off the bus, so to speak. Once earning in excess of $40,000.00/month, Darren claimed he only made $5,000.00/month and could afford the financial agreement he made with Charla in Court. But when he was ordered to pay Charla her million-dollar settlement, Darren lost it. He decided murder was the only way to solve his financial problems…but Charla wasn’t the only victim he had in mind.
Thanks to our sponsor CEREBRAL - AFFORDABLE ONLINE MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES, INCLUDING PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE. You can receive 65% off your first month of medication management and care counseling by going to WWW.CEREBRAL.COM/CONSEQUENCES
Join us on Facebook and IG: @HARDCORETRUECRIME
Get ad-free early releases of each episode, plus over 170 exclusive Members Only episodes by going to Patreon.com/tntcrimes or joining our Apple Channel on the Apple Podcast App.
1) “Love her to death” by John Glatt
2) Article: Darren Mack case: Reno judge reflects on assassination attempt
3) Article: I-Team Exclusive: Son of convicted murderer Darren Mack claims father killed ex-wife in self-defense
4) Article: Judge Chuck Weller, shot by angry pawn shop owner in 2006, decides to retire
5) Article: The Darren Mack case: 10 years later
6) Video: CBS News: Darren Mack on the stand
7) Darren Mack’s Murderpedia page
8) The Crimes of Darren Mack