On August 11, City of Marion police officers and Marion County deputies raided the office of the Marion County Record newspaper; the home of its co-owners, Eric Meyer and his 98 year old mother, Joan Meyer; and the home of Marion vice mayor Ruth Herbel, 80.
Joan passed away the following day with many attributing her death to the stress of the raid.
The unprecedented raid sent shockwaves throughout the journalism community and generated international headlines for the small town of just 2,000 people.
In this episode with Eric Meyer, we dissect the events that transpired, examine the players and possible motivations behind the raid, and discuss whether he will file lawsuit(s) against the city over the illegal raid and death of his mother.
Kari Newell, Restaurant Owner
- Owner of Chef's Table restaurant, previously owned by Tammy Ensey
- Currently using Tammy Ensey's liquor license which expired on August 28th
- Convicted of 2008 DUI
- Been driving without a license for last 14+ years
- City of Marion Police Department is alleged to have known this
- Newell is in the process of seeking a liquor license and obtaining support from the Marion City Council
Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody
- Veteran police officer with KCMO - about 24 years
- Was earning $115,000, but left to become the police chief in Marion for $60,000
- Never served as a police chief before
- Hired in May 2023
- Alleged to dislike Eric Meyer and the Marion County Record
Marion City Administrator Brogan Jones
- First-time city administrator who recently graduated with an MPA from Wichita State University
- Does not have the power to hire/fire/suspend police chief
Marion Mayor David Mayfield
- Alleged to dislike Eric Meyer and Marion County Record
Marion Vice-Mayor Ruth Herbel
- Alleged to be an ally/supporter of Eric Meyer and the Marion County Record
Marion County Attorney Joel Ensey
- Tammy Ensey's brother-in-law
- Unknown if he saw probable cause affidavit before Judge Viar signed off on the search warrant
Judge Laura Viar
Marion County Record Publisher/Co-owner Eric Meyer
Marion County Record Report Phyllis Zorn
Kansas Bureau of Investigation Director Tony Mattivi
Pam Maag - Kari Newell's ex-friend who tipped off the newspaper
- Known to have provided documents to Marion County Record regarding Kari Newell's driving record and this was confirmed in probable cause affidavit written by Chief Gideon Cody
- Was never interviewed before the search warrant nor was a search warrant apparently requested for her home
Probable Cause Affidavit
SUPPORT THE SHOW:
Please rate and review the podcast on Apple or your preferred platform if you enjoy the show. It helps tremendously. But more importantly, refer your friends and peers to podcast through personal conversations and posts on your social media platforms.
Joe Turner's LinkedIn Page