On this episode of The Mike Thakur Show, Trav Bell joins Mike for a conversation around happiness, fulfillment and the importance of letting your life plan, not your business plan lead your steps on a daily basis.
Trav, The ‘Bucket List Guy’ travels the world evangelizing his core belief that “We owe it to ourselves to live a regret-free life rather than a regret-ful life.” On a mission to change the narrative around mental health, he believes that prevention is far better than the cure.
“They call me the bucket list guy, and for the last 10 years I’ve been running around the world doing my bucket list while other people pay me to talk about it, helping them to do the same. We’re on a mission to wake people up before they’re given that ‘use by date’.
Previously in the fitness industry, Trav built an impressive personal fitness brand with tens of thousands of clients and over 300 personal trainers. When things started to get ‘on top of him’, a mild depression set in. Reluctant to simply band aid the issue with anti-depressants, Trav wanted to deal with the cause and so pressed into his breakdown until he hit a breakthrough moment.
Recognizing that others were dealing with some of the same issues and thoughts, he began building his legacy, through his Bucket List network that operates in 22 countries around the world. .
Trav lives in Australia with his wife, and believes that one of the keys to prioritizing your life plan is to get an old fashioned pen and paper out, and write down your goals, because you’re 42% more likely to see something come to fruition as a result of this one simple act.
- Concentrating on the what and the why is most important because if the why is strong enough the how will work itself out.
- Making your life list a bigger priority than your todo list.
- Learning not to sacrifice your happiness now hoping you’ll enjoy life later because later may never come.
- Recognizing that fulfillment is more important and longer lasting than happiness.
- Understanding that creating a tangible life plan means our business plan should fit into IT, and not the other way around.
- There is no work/life balance anymore, only a work/life blend for the most successful entrepreneurs.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Episodes 6 & 7 where we talk in more detail about the importance of having a support network around you before starting any entrepreneurial journey to help protect and keep your mental wellness healthy.
- “I’ve been very intentional about lifestyle design”.
- “Live your bucket list before you hit your use by date.”
- “You’re no good to anyone if you’re not on top of your psychology.”
- “It’s a tangible life plan where our business plan should fit into our life plan, and not the other way around.”
- “It’s not about work life balance, it’s about work life blend… Because nothing ever balances if you’re obsessed with your business.”
- “It’s really about attention management. What are we paying attention to at any given time.”
- “It’s not a matter of resources, it’s a matter of resourcefulness.”
- “Hurry up and live your bucket list because you’re going to die soon.”
- “People are dying at 40 and being buried at 80."
Book: The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor
Book: The Path to Freedom by Barry Magliarditi
Trav’s new book, “My Bucket List Blueprint” launches THIS WEEK!
Mike Thakur is CEO of WorkLodge and Founder at the Gabriel Project. He is on a mission to change lives through entrepreneurship and sustainable social enterprise. With experience both as an executive roles both at established companies and multiple startups (commercial and non-profit), Mike is committed to giving back and creating environments that leave people better off than when they started.
Additional episodes of The Mike Thakur Show available at: https://www.mikethakur.com/show
Follow Trav Bell:
Ted Talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GImTk0BzBhM
Websites: worklodge.com (Company Website)
mikethakur.com (Personal Website)