Learn about why having a “drink to cope” doesn’t work; why human brains shrunk 3,000 years ago; and high heel history.
Having a "drink to cope" doesn't actually work, and can even make you feel worse by Steffie Drucker
- One year on: Unhealthy weight gains, increased drinking reported by Americans coping with pandemic stress. (2021, March 11). One year on: Unhealthy weight gains, increased drinking reported by Americans coping with pandemic stress. Https://Www.apa.org. https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2021/03/one-year-pandemic-stress
- “Drinking To Cope” Doesn’t Work, Even When We Believe That It Does. (2021, October 20). Research Digest. https://digest.bps.org.uk/2021/10/20/drinking-to-cope-doesnt-work-even-when-we-believe-that-it-does/
- Wycoff, A. M., Carpenter, R. W., Hepp, J., Piasecki, T. M., & Trull, T. J. (2021). Real-time reports of drinking to cope: Associations with subjective relief from alcohol and changes in negative affect. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 130(6), 641–650. https://doi.org/10.1037/abn0000684
Human brains shrunk 3,000 years ago, and it may be due to the rise of collective intelligence by Grant Currin
- When and why did human brains decrease in size 3,000 years ago? New study may have found clues within ants. (2021, October 22). EurekAlert! https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/932004
- DeSilva, J. M., Traniello, J. F. A., Claxton, A. G., & Fannin, L. D. (2021). When and Why Did Human Brains Decrease in Size? A New Change-Point Analysis and Insights From Brain Evolution in Ants. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution, 9. https://doi.org/10.3389/fevo.2021.742639
High Heels Were Originally Meant for Men by Reuben Westmaas originally published July 9, 2018 https://omny.fm/shows/curiosity-daily/high-heels-were-originally-meant-for-men-persuasiv
Follow Curiosity Daily on your favorite podcast app to learn something new every day withCody Gough andAshley Hamer. Still curious? Get exclusive science shows, nature documentaries, and more real-life entertainment on discovery+! Go to https://discoveryplus.com/curiosity to start your 7-day free trial. discovery+ is currently only available for US subscribers.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.